The GED Program
The General Equivalency Diploma program has been providing a second chance at education for millions of people since 1942. Since 2002, there have been over 4.5 million GEDs completed in the United States. This program is one of the best ways to get access to more job options, college-level courses, or vocational training programs to start a new career. According to the GED Testing Service, getting your high school credential will make you an average of $7,000 more per year. And even if you’ve been out of school for a long time, there are free GED classes available across the country that can give you the confidence and experience you need to ace your test on the first try. Starting in 2014, the computerized format of the test will be the primary option available to test takers. If you are uncomfortable using computer technology, GED classes have become an even more valuable option than ever before.
What is a GED?
A GED is an alternative high school credential, also known as a General Equivalency Diploma. There are five subjects covered on the official GED test: Mathematics, Reading, Writing, Social Studies, and Science. By passing all of these subjects, you will complete your GED. Use your new degree to apply to colleges, technical schools, or find a better job with a higher salary.
Can I Get my GED Online?
It is not possible to get your GED online. Only state-approved testing centers can provide the official test and you are required to show up in person to challenge it. With the new computerized format of the test, it is possible to register online, but you still must show up in person. There are classes and study programs available online to help you prepare if you are looking for virtual learning or online instruction.
To begin your testing process, you can register online at any time. Each state has different qualifications required for candidates that want to challenge the test, but most often the only requirements are to be at least 18 years old and not have finished high school. It is highly recommended that you sign up for a study course or adult education program before challenging the test, and in some states it is required.
Online High School
Online high schools and online charter schools are another option for students that did not complete their education but wish to do so. These options are a more recent development and provide more flexibility to their students. You can work at your own pace, take classes from the comfort of your home, and use your finished high school credential to apply to colleges and vocational training programs throughout the country. Be careful to only enroll in an online high school that has proper accreditation for the state in which it operates. There are six accrediting organizations in the country that are responsible for approving online charter schools and high schools. Do not waste your time or money on a program that will not give you a legitimate diploma.
What is an Online High School?
Online high schools are virtual learning environments that provide teens and adults with high school classes and educational courses. There are many different educational organizations that provide online learning platforms for high school educations.
Can I get my High School Diploma Online?
Yes, it is possible to get a high school diploma online. To get a diploma that will be accepted by colleges and universities, you must complete an online program that is approved by the accrediting body in your region of the country. If you enroll in a program that is not recognized by colleges in your area, your diploma will be invalid.
To get started with your high school diploma, check with the accrediting body for educational programs in your region of the country. The country is split into six sections.
- In the South, the primary organization to check with is the Council on Accreditation and School Improvement.
- On the West Coast, the Accrediting Commission for Schools is responsible for approving online high schools.
- In the New England region of the East Coast, the Commission on Independent Schools is the organization that will point you in the right direction.
- For the middle states on the East Coast, the Commission on Secondary Schools is responsible for approving educational programs.
- In the Midwest, the Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement is the accrediting body for schools. This commission is separate from the Southern Associate of Schools and Colleges. It is part of the North Central Association Commission on the Accreditation and School Improvement.
- In the Northwest, the independent organization known as the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools is responsible for accrediting online programs for secondary education.